Big Money Forums  

Go Back   Big Money Forums > Big Money Forum Community Discussions and Announcements > Advertisements and Promotion
Register FAQ Calendar Radio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Submit Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Unread 06-13-2008, 07:35 AM

iastaff is on a distinguished road
Explanation of SSH2 Accounts

Date: Saturday May 31, 2008
Author: Jared T.
Organization:

Throughout time, many people have asked me to explain what SSH2 is in layman terms. This means without all the techie mumbo jumbo that most people do not understand to begin with. This article will focus solely on the basics of what SSH2 is as a whole. This article is not to be taken as the final word as I may miss something or excluse something that I am not thinking of at the moment. Here goes.....

SSH2 stands for "secure shell version 2." It is the second version of a secure protocol used to create an encrypted and secure form of communication between a client computer and a server. There are 3 well known encryption protocols that ssh2 supports for data transit: AES, Blow Fish, and 3DES (also known as Triple DES). All 3 protocols are commonly used in todays world by those using the ssh2 protocol. Most modern browser, including Internet Explorer & Fire Fox fully support all 3 methods.

The most common use of ssh2 is used for secure browsing of the internet. Normally browsers transmit data under the http protocol and any one can easily capture that unsecure and unencrypted data as it is usually sent in clear text. This means that they can easily see where you are going and what you are doing. Is is very easy to track you at this point. But don't worry, millions of people are this vulnerable every day of the week. Since you are sending data at this point in clear text, your isp (internet service provider) loves you because they have full monitoring capability and can see just about everything you can.

Your next question may be: but when I am under ssl (secure socket layer version 3) aren't I encrypted and protected? The answer to this can be put in 2 ways: under 128 bit encryption, you are protected, but this encryption strength is now considered weak and has been successfully cracked many times and without a super computer. Todays standard is at least 256 bit encryption. This is consider pretty good for todays day and age.

So where does ssh2 play a role here? Glad you asked! Under ssh2 tunnelling, all of your browsing is under an intense 768 bit encryption cypher all the time. This means you are fully encrypted on every site you visit, whether surfing under the normal http or https protocol. Wouldn't you rather be protected with a tough layer of encryption all the time instead of only while under ssl? I know I sure would!

Most internet service providers today do not appreciate users using this technology because the encrypted session between the users local computer and the remote server effectively blocks out the isp from their ability to monitor their users. An isp can see a connection from your computer to the remote server, but cannot see where you are surfing or what you are downloading as they do not have the capability of penetrating the encryption cypher. This is what blocks all spying, tracking, and monitoring capability of 99.9999% of isp's, governments, and universities.