Big Money Forums  

Go Back   Big Money Forums > Business and Personal - Money Management and Protection Tools > Laws and Legal Issues > Class Action Lawsuits
Register FAQ Calendar Radio Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Submit Tools Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Unread 08-13-2007, 12:21 PM

MarkT is on a distinguished road
Sunrocket VOIP Class Action Lawsuit

I had sunrocket voip phone service before they went out of business and I visited a site at and started the forum here as this is an issue involving lots of money and annoyance.

I believe that sunrocket should be sued in a class action lawsuit and one reason is not telling anyone about going out of business. They just went off one day leaving everyone with no phone service and that could have caused many serious problems. What if someone had an emergency?

I would like to see former customers come here and sign there name as a petition and discuss this issue and would also like to see some lawyers come here and try getting names for a class action lawsuit.
Unread 08-13-2007, 01:57 PM

great8 is on a distinguished road
I would like to sign the petition and would like to be contacted PM in the future when a lawsuit is started:

Joesph Dane
Unread 08-13-2007, 02:12 PM

bluejay73 is on a distinguished road
I also sign the petition for when a lawyer picks up the list. I lost $4000 in services bought from sunrocket a week before they went under. I also lost $30000 worth of damages to my business when the phones went dead.

Tom Littleton
Unread 08-13-2007, 02:28 PM

henrydavid is on a distinguished road
I'm in

My situation is similar, Sunrocket told me 2 years ago it was within their terms of service to use their phone service with a home based business.
Now due to their untimely demise I am suffering financial losses daily, my business of over 23 years is in trouble as a direct result of their negligence.

This is not just a "gripe" and it's not just friends and family, it's my living and 3 other workers part time income.

Sunrock MUST PAY !!
Unread 08-13-2007, 02:31 PM

Your not alone, I also used sunrocket for a home based business and suffered as well. It's not just the $200 yearly charge we lost, it was the damage to business as well.

I believe that there should also be criminal charges as well if we can get money from them.
Unread 08-13-2007, 02:44 PM

Well hopefully this is the start of something, class action suits usually mean just a few dollars for the screwed customers, a lot of money for the attourneys and a little black eye for the company in question, even that is better than nothing. What would be better, though much more expensive, would be private civil actions against Sunrocket, I'm taking a "wait and see" attitude, but not ruling anything out as of yet.
Unread 08-13-2007, 04:28 PM

MuswellHillUK is on a distinguished road
Cool SunRocket Possible Class Action Lawsuit

I was a SunRocket customer (prepaid) for nearly 2 years. I am amongst those fortunate enough to only have lost 2 or 3 months' worth of prepaid telephone service with them and I did not have a business phone number through them, just residential. However, the worry of losing service/losing my long-standing home phone number and the irritation and time consumed trying to contact them and Sherwood Partners over retrieving my phone number was quite sufficient for me to be thoroughly annoyed with both SunRocket's AND Sherwood Partners' mishandling of the entire situation.

I had recommended SunRocket about 6 months ago to a friend who has Multiple Sclerosis and so is reliant upon phone service for contacting her doctors, contacting the hospital, and receiving phone calls from her doctors (for prescriptions, appointments, test results, etc.) She has managed to sign up with another carrier but had to go through unncessary stress and worry of losing telephone service and of losing her long-standing phone number. For people who are seriously ill it is hardly responsible on the part of SunRocket to create such chaos.

I know from postings that many business people did, indeed, have their phone numbers with SunRocket and that it has cost them not only their prepaid money, but also loss of business income, just as has been stated by posters to this forum.

True, most class action plaintiffs do not realize a great deal of money in settlement if a class action suit is one by the plaintiffs. However, if there is sufficient legal cause for a suit, and I believe there is MORE than sufficient cause, and if the likely defendants in such a suit have financial exposure, then purely on the basis of sending a message, both to those responsible for the SunRocket debacle - and any other companies that feel they can treat customers in such an irresponsible fashion - it is well worth pursuing.

Bringing private suit where the plaintiffs pay legal fees, court costs, etc., can be extremely expensive. If they win, the settlement amount can be greater - but the upfront money that must be paid by the plaintiffs is substantial. Considering many people (myself included) chose SunRocket in order to save on the cost of phone service, I would suspect that, collectively, we are not 'well heeled' enough to contemplate paying to sue them. My opinon is that a class action, where the law firm covers the cost of the suit and is paid legal fees at the other end out of the settlement money is by far the most practical way to go. The alternative is to do nothing and let them get away with this - something I, for one, am not prepared to do if a class action law firm takes this case.

While following up with one particular class action law firm on an entirely unrelated matter a couple of weeks ago, I mentioned the SunRocket situation. They were not familiar with it but did some preliminary research and phoned me back for more details, ultimately assigning some of their legal staff to gather more indepth information to determine if there is legal cause for a suit and sufficient money back there somewhere with the probably defendants to make a suit worthwhile and winnable. I expect to hear back from this lawfirm shortly and will post to the forum when I do.
Unread 08-14-2007, 01:00 AM

Big Sing is on a distinguished road
Sunrocket VOIP Class Action Lawsuit

I hope a lawyer is viewing this forum and take some interest in this case. Sunrocket left me and my family in a bad situation with no phone service able to protect us as we slept, or away from our home. With no service my alarm was not to contact emergency services. They also renewed my account (for $200.00) and then jumped ship!! Isn't that considered robbery? There has to be a law out there to protect us (the consumer) from scam artists like Sunrocket.

Last edited by Big Sing : 08-14-2007 at 01:01 AM. Reason: Miss spelling and miss worded
Unread 08-14-2007, 04:54 PM

simply_chele is on a distinguished road
i would like to know whom it is i need to contact.. i am a single mom and had sunrocket up until may 17th, on June 23 they took yet another payment from my account.. 30 days AFTER i had stopped services. it caused my account to over draft ( as i said single parent and not alot of extra cash ) i contacted them and they told me i would recieve a refund including the over draft charge but it took up to 38 days.. well right after that was told to me i called a week later and was told again the same thing.. and next thing i know the phone recording says they are no longer accepting calls and disconnects.
does anyone know how i can get my money back?????
Unread 08-14-2007, 05:06 PM

wetsun@cox.net is on a distinguished road
Please let me know about a class action Law Suit against SunRocket my phone has been disconnected and I lost allot of time and business.
George Setka
1140 West 23rd Street
San Pedro, CA 90731
(310) 987-0680
Unread 08-14-2007, 05:37 PM

MuswellHillUK is on a distinguished road
I will phone the law firm tomorrow that I spoke with a couple of weeks ago to update them that I know have direct contact with additional Sun Rocket customers and to find out how they have progressed in their research toward making a decision about filing a lawlsuit. I will then post an update to this website.
Unread 08-17-2007, 01:34 PM

MuswellHillUK, have you heard anything new from the law firm recently? I have to ask this of anyone else if they have found any lawyers or new information.

I have something interesting to say about another phone service called TeleBlend. I have been looking for other VOIP phone services and noticed that when I went to sign up for them, they had all my personal information from Sunrocket. I find this very odd and would like law firms to know this, it may be something to investigate as it sounds like Sunrocket closed down and took the money and opened up another place so they could get away with it or something.

I'm not exactly sure what this is about, but I think it is extremely odd that TeleBlend would have the same personal information that Sunrocket had, before I even signed up for them!
Unread 08-20-2007, 04:09 AM

cjackson is on a distinguished road
I used to be a SunRocket customer, too. Filing a lawsuit can be a good idea, but in the meantime you might consider looking for something more established than TeleBlend. I personally went with Packet8. The service has been great so far. My fax is actually sending faxes on a first try through their line, unlike Vonage or SunRocket. If you don't like Packet8 for some reason then I hear that Lingo, VOIP, JoiPhone and Viatalk are also pretty safe bets.

More info on each provider:

Last edited by cjackson : 08-20-2007 at 04:13 AM.
Unread 08-20-2007, 06:01 PM

LadyRdhd is on a distinguished road
Assignment for the benefit of creditors?

Today I received mail from "Sunrocket (assignment for the benefit of creditors), LLC," signed by one Martin D. Pichinson, Manager. Not being an attorney, I don't understand a word of the 6 page printed document, or how it affects me. They also included a "Proof of Claim" that they aparently want me to fill out and return to them. I'm certain I am but one of approx. 200,000 other unfortunate former customers of SunRocket that is receiving this paperwork. Glad I joined this site. Can someone please help with this?
Unread 08-21-2007, 10:19 PM

I never received the paperwork, used Sunrocket for nearly 2 years. Don't sign anything just yet, take a wait and see attitude, you may be signing away your rights.

Sunrocket should be sued for even doing this.
Unread 08-22-2007, 03:31 PM

simply_chele is on a distinguished road
email recieved

i recieved the following email .. id like to know how they recieved my email... is sunrocvket now selling it? the need to be paying me the monies they took from my account for 2 months after i cancelled

Subject: TALK FREE WITH CTP ( EMAIL FOR FORMER DISGRUNTLED SUNROCKET CUSTOMERS)
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 09:22:00 -0400
From: "Adrian Jemmott" <Adrian@ctpadmin.com> Add to Address Book Add Mobile Alert
To:

Good Morning ,

My name is Adrian Jemmott and i am the Marketing Assistant at Call The Planet Corporation, we are a VOIP solutions company and we are looking at ways to advertise throughout the Caribbean,United States and Europe to increase our customer base . We would like to offer our services to your customers so you can enjoy cheap and affordable telephony service and start saving HUGE AMOUNTS on your international calls when you join with CTP. If you sign up with a CTP account TODAY
Unread 08-27-2007, 04:17 PM

Kokines is on a distinguished road
Burned by Sunrocket

We also had sunrocket we have lost our phone # which we had for years we have had a very difficult time a lot of people have no way of contacting us now. we need to do something this just isn't right. Let me know what to do
Unread 08-27-2007, 05:14 PM

LadyRdhd is on a distinguished road
Hi, sorry that you got burned, along with the rest of us. :( I don't think there is a right answer about what to do, but I'll share what I did. To save my old phone number (I've had it for 20 years), I called my cell phone provider, and had my number "ported" from Sunrocket to my cell phone. Luckily, I have only had my cell phone for two months, and seldom used it, so the old cell phone number was not widely known, and won't be missed.

For the sake of simplicity, I am now using my cell phone (now with my number of 20 years) as my only phone. I "upped" my calling plan, so it only costs me additional $10 a month for 1400 total minutes, which should be sufficient. It is weird, tho, not having a "land line" phone in my house. I finally put away my cordless phones yesterday, because I finally realized they were not ever going to ring or be used again! I'm adjusting to using the cell phone exclusively. Difficult teaching old dogs like me new tricks.

I must add, though, I will not go with another internet type phone, such as Vonage or any other "cheap" phone service provider. "Once burned, twice shy!" The chatter on the 'net is that all voip phone services are in financial trouble and their days are numbered. This Sunrocket thing has been such a traumatic and disruptive experience, I do not want to risk having it happen to me again! "Fool me twice, shame on me!"

Good luck in getting your old number back in your control. I'd say, whatever you decide to do, get your old number ported quickly to another phone service provider, even if it's a cell phone. Your old number may now be in a pool of unassigned phone numbers, like mine was, and it could be assigned to someone else at any time.

Last edited by LadyRdhd : 08-27-2007 at 05:19 PM. Reason: grammar correction
Unread 09-06-2007, 03:06 PM

btragesser is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Sunrocket VOIP Class Action Lawsuit

I would certainly be willing to sign up for this class action lawsuit.

I was lucky enough to not be as affected as many others during this ordeal. I wasn't using the SunRocket number for business and I kept one (basic) AT&T line along with my cell phone, although I did use the SunRocket number for my primary number including home phone, voice mail, and fax.

However, I did sign up for a 2 year extension to my original plan when they were offering a "buy 1 (year), get one (year) free" promotion back in Dec 2006. Ironically, the CSR told me at the time that current customers were not eligible and I had to contact Lisa Hook and Joyce Dorris directly and shame them into locking me in as a customer for another couple of year. (gosh, wasn
Unread 09-15-2007, 01:51 AM

thirddegreekris@gmail.com is on a distinguished road
I am also a business owner with thousands of dollars lost in advertising please contact me if this gets off the ground. im going nuts trying to get my phone numbers working and it's been over a month